There is nothing we like better than Top 10 Lists. NOTHING. Okay, maybe that’s a little bit of a stretch. We like tequila a little bit more than Top 10 Lists. We can agree that no one did Top 10 Lists better than David Letterman. But since he’s grown a beard and not on network TV anymore, and because he NEVER did one about tequila, we decided to make our own. #ICYMI, here’s our list of Top 10 Tequila 2016 Happenings (#TTT2016).
ProTips: Drink Like a Pro
Kicking off our #TTT2026 list are our favorite ProTips to help you drink like a professional. From how to make, to how to talk, to what to drink, we had Tequila 2016 covered.
10. It’s simple to make simple syrup. Simple syrup is a base ingredient in so many cocktails – both trendy and traditional. We shared our basic recipe and gave some twisted variations (add a seasonal fruit!) on simple syrups to help you make some not-so-simple drinks.
9. You don’t have to shoot tequila to enjoy it. We showed you how to really enjoy tequila with our post on How to Drink (and Talk) Tequila. Think of it as Tequila 101. Get a brief lesson on what you need to know before you drink tequila, including the different types, how tequila is made, and whether organic matters (we think it does).
8. Ginger is hot! The Mexicali Mule earned its spot on #TTT2016 because it is one of our sassiest cocktails! It’s a buzzing blitz of Azuñia Blanco organic tequila, ginger beer (spicy), fresh lime, and Angostura Bitters. This cocktail is as much fun to drink as it looks in a signature copper mug.
7. Ciao Bella! Hello Beautiful! The Tequila Negroni brings a Spanish twist to an Italian favorite. The classic Negroni originated in Italy, combining gin, vermouth, Campari, and orange peel. In our #TTT2016 version, we swap the gin for tequila for slightly earthier and deeper flavor.
Our boastful flavor profile trends in tequila mixology hold center court on our #TTT2016 list.
6. Ginger really is hot. In addition to listing our favorite redheads (Eddie Redmayne, Emma Stone, Bobby Flay, and Prince Harry), we talked about how ginger can give a common cocktail an extraordinary twist. We encouraged you to juice it to add a little spice to your drink or to garnish your drink with a piece of candied ginger. Any way you slice it, ginger is the root of kicking up your cocktail game.
5. Sunshine. Okay, so that isn’t exactly a flavor profile. It is, however, what you’ll be basking in when you indulge in our favorite summertime cocktail, Ancho Sunshine When She’s Gone. This cocktail is a delightful mix of organic Reposado tequila, Ancho Reyes Chile Liqueur, banana syrup, and fresh lime. It has just enough sweet to balance the heat of even the hottest months.
2016 was Eventful
We celebrated many occasions with a lot of different drinks this year. It would make sense that top #TTT2016 honors would go to our favorite days and the cocktails with which we celebrated.
4. Go organic. Unless you’ve been lying on a beach somewhere without Wi-Fi or cell service for the last few years (jealous!), you’ll know that “organic” is a popular designation for food and drink. Our Organic Skinny Margarita fits the label. Made with organic Blanco tequila, organic agave nectar, fresh lime, and a splash of water, it’s lighter in calories but certainly not taste.
3. Ten Recipes for Cinco De Mayo. We celebrated Cinco De Mayo in the tastiest way possible. We called upon 10 food bloggers to share their best “Battle of Puebla inspired” recipes. The recipes were voted on by our followers, and in true battle-fashion, only 1 winner emerged. Latino Foodie took home top honors with their recipe for Mole Poblano. Olé!
2. Everything old is new again. Especially when it comes to cocktails. 2016 saw a resurgence of classic cocktails trending. The Añejo Old Fashioned is no exception. It’s made like the traditional Old Fashioned with one minor edit – swap the whisky for tequila. It’s an oldie but goodie.
And taking the very toppest of top honors, is a day that we hold very dear….drum roll please…
1. Father’s Day. Family is our foundation. From the Zuñiga family that grows and harvests our agave, to the people that work in our distillery, to our founder, Jim Riley. We are a family. He talked about the Azuñia family, his own family and how the two intertwine in his life.
That’s a Wrap
It’s hard to believe that 2016 is coming to an end. It’s even harder to believe that we actually whittled down our Top Tequila 2016 moments to just 10. But we did.
Did your Top Tequila 2016 moment not make the list? Let us know what your #TTT2016 list looks like!
Cheers! And Azuñia to you!