You know us. We have an opinion about everything booze related. Seriously. We love champagne so much that we even wrote a post about it. But we love tequila just a little bit more. Counting down to the champagne toast on New Year’s Eve is always fun, but we think it could be more fun. So before you stock up on the bubbly, take a look at these celebratory winter cocktails for your holiday season. As we get closer to the new year, one day at a time, we bring you our favorite 10 winter cocktails that are better than champagne.
Countdown to the New Yar (By Way of Winter Cocktails)
10. First up in our countdown of winter cocktails that are better than champagne, is the Añejo Old Fashioned. Simple and refined, the Añejo Old Fashioned is one of America’s oldest cocktails (with a tequila twist). Swapping out the rye whiskey for Azuñia Añejo tequila gives this old-fashioned new life. The muddled sugar cube and Angostura Bitters add a level complexity to an otherwise simple cocktail. Everything old is new again.
9. Minty, chocolaty, and wintery, the Peppermint Patty is everything you love about December holidays and more. Steaming hot chocolate is layered with Azuñia Blanco organic tequila and Peppermint Schnapps and finished with mile-high whipped topping. Sprinkle some candy cane pieces on top for the holiday kick this cocktail (and you) deserves.
8. Served neat, on the rocks, or with a splash of water, our Black, 2-Year Extra-Aged Añejo is perfect for a cool winter night. Special Reserve Añejo is THE winter cocktail for the tequila connoisseur, no matter how it’s served.
7. Everything is better with butter. That includes winter cocktails. The Butter Me Up is a real crowd-pleaser. Azuñia Añejo tequila, rum, and homemade hot-buttered batter make this rich velvety cocktail more of a dessert than a drink. Seasoned with cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, nutmeg, and cloves, it’s the creamy after-dinner drink your celebration calls for.
6. We wish we could start every day with the Heart and Soul coffee-laced winter cocktail. Homemade cinnamon and clove infused Azuñia Añejo tequila (it’s easier than it sounds), orange bitters and coffee liqueur are the core of this sweet cocktail’s spirit. Serve in a stemmed glass and top with whipped cream for a little extra love.
5. Give your mule an upgrade by using tequila. The Mexicali Mule trades in vodka for Azuñia Blanco organic tequila in the fizzy winter cocktail. Ginger beer and Angostura Bitters give the cocktail its buzz and its bite. The traditional copper mug adds to the sparkle and the flavor of this spunky drink.
4. Holidays got you down? Or fighting the dreaded winter cold? The Toddy Blossom is the winter cocktail’s equivalent of chicken soup. Azuñia Reposado organic tequila, elderflower liqueur, agave nectar, hot water, and all-powerful lemon make this tea-like drink the cure for what ails you. Even if you aren’t under-the-weather, this cocktail will warm up even the coldest of nights, perfect for those fireside chats.
3. A classic aperitif, the Negroni, gets a tequila makeover in this winter cocktail mash up. Swapping out gin for Azuñia Blanco organic tequila, the Tequila Negroni keeps the Campari and Vermouth, creating a beautifully balanced bite in this booze heavy drink. Share one with friends today.
2. Boozy cider drinks are never a bad idea. Trust us. The Apple Cider Margarita winterizes your favorite sunny cocktail. Throw out everything you know about the standard marg and make this cold-weather version. Shake up Azuñia Reposado organic tequila, Orange Curaçao, fresh orange juice, and apple cider. Serve over ice with an apple garnish for a slice of winter perfection.
1. What’s a list of winter cocktails without a little bubbly? Remember how we said we liked tequila more than champagne? We like tequila AND champagne even more. The Spanish Sparkler combines Azuñia Reposado organic tequila, agave nectar, and fresh lemon, with an effervescence float courtesy of a splash of champagne. Now that’s a festive libation! We know what we want to drink when the clock strikes midnight.
Tequila Wishes and Caviar Dreams
We hope that you enjoy our 10 winter cocktails that are better than champagne as much as we enjoy creating cocktails for you. We take cocktail crafting seriously and have a slew of other recipes where these came from.
Happy Holidays and cheers to a new year filled with tequila wishes and caviar dreams!